Livingston, New Jersey

I fell for their adds heard on O'Reilly's TV and radio shows. I had a few years of unfiled returns and learned an IRS Revenue Officer was trying to get in contact with me. Needless to say, I became quite fearful. So, what did I do-I contacted TaxMasters to help me.

When I called them on 10/26/09, I spoke with a tax consultant who advised me not to contact the IRS officer and told me he would email me their Engagement Agreement and power of attorney forms to sign and send back so that they could contact the IRS on my behalf. After signing and emailing the forms back, they immediately debited my bank account for $1,920 as the down payment toward a total bill of $5,750.00. This amount seemed quite high but I signed the agreement out of desperation-thinking they were going to help me.

A little over a week later I received a letter, along with some forms to fill out, from TM. The letter was dated 11/03/09. One of the enclosed form was a 433a packet with instructions to, "...[P]lease fill it out and return it to our offices on or after 1/22/2010. The other forms were for information for the unfiled tax return years, a supplemental agreement for two additional tax years and an invoice for another $400.00 to prepare the returns.

While in the process of filling out the forms, I received a letter dated 10/29/09 from the IRS on 11/10/09. The letter stated that unless I pay the amount owed, make alternative arrangements to pay, or provide additional information within 30 days from the date of the letter, further collection will be taken.

Upon receipt of the letter, I called the TM consultant, left a voice-mail message, and then emailed a copy of the letter to him. I presumed the letter was passed along to the right person and that my interests were protected. That was not the case because on 11/25/09 I learned that a commission check I was expecting, from the agency I work through, had been levyed by the IRS. I immediately called TM and left several voice mail messages and got an email response on 11/30/09 indicating they would have someone from operations call me that day.

I finally spoke with one of their attorneys, Tyler Deck, on 12/02/09, who said unless I become compliant by filing all unfiled returns, he could not get the levy removed. I asked him if he had spoken with the revenue officer to which he replied he hadn't. I told him I had prepared all of the returns and would file them, which I did on 12/07/09 at the local IRS office. I dropped off copies of the filed returns to TM on 12/08/09.

I made numerous follow up phone calls to Mr. Deck only to leave unreturned voice mail messages. When I finally spoke with Mr. Deck, he said he would call the IRS to let them know I filed the returns. Then on 12/10/09 another commission check was levied. Again, I tried to contact Mr. Deck leaving numerous messages for him to call. Finally, I learned he was out of the office until after the holidays. I was able to contact another person in operations, on 12/28/09, who had me sign more power of attorney forms so he could talk to the IRS.

After signing and returning the forms, I did not hear from anyone at TM. So, on 01/06/10 I contacted the IRS revenue officer who told me the file had been transferred to the local office. He also told me the only contact he had with TM was a voice-mail message from Mr. Deck, whom he called back and left a message. The revenue officer told me the only reason the levy was filed was due to no response to his 10/29/09 letter. He suggested I go to the local IRS office to see if my case has been assigned. I did this on 01/14/10 and spoke with a revenue officer who was very helpful in assisting me with developing a plan of action to resolve my tax debt. Actually, I learned more in 20 minutes with the IRS than I did in 3 months with TM.

So, on 1/26/10 I delivered a termination letter to the TM office and spoke with a supervising consultant, Mr. McCallister (who by the way offered me a job as one of their consultants). I explained the issues I had and he intimated there have been similar problems with Mr. Deck. In my letter I cited the reason for terminating their services was for lack of performance and was also requesting reimbursement of the some $3,100 ($1,200 of which was for tax return preparation) I paid in fees. He said he would pass my letter along and I would be hearing from a Jeff Welch. When I did not hear from Mr. Welch, I called him several times, leaving voice mail messages that were never responded to. So, I paid another visit to TM on 2/01/10 and met with Dewayne Logan, their Quality Assurance Director. He told me they were investigating the matter and would let me know the outcome in the next several days.

After not hearing from anyone at TM after leaving messages for Logan and Welch, I again went to TM on 2/05/10. I met with Jeff Welch, a man very small in stature, who listened to my quick summary of my concerns and then proceeded to tell they will not be refunding any of the fees they collected from me and that I should leave. I pointed out the agreement I signed stipulates, "If Client has paid more than the minimum fee...a refund will be paid." I asked him what is the minimum then. He again stated he doesn't care what the agreement says, I was not getting any of my money back. I requested to speak to the office manager and was told that was not going to happen. I then calmly insisted I be allowed to speak with the manager. Mr. Welch got up and left the room, I thought to get the manager. (Here's where it gets really interesting) He returned in about five minutes with a policeman to have me escorted from the building.

So, it is quite apparent to me from everything I've read about TaxMasters and my personal experience, they are nothing more than a "mill" that preys upon those of us needing help with tax problems. I've been in their office which has an entire floor of the building filled with tax consultants, who are nothing more than trained salespeople. They take your money and essentially ignore you until you reach a point where you become so frustrated you either terminate the agreement and go to a legitimate tax professional or try to take care of the problem yourself. In my case, I had already prepared my returns, but was still charged a fee by TM to prepare the returns. I also learned that in most cases the IRS is willing to work with a taxpayer to resolve any tax issues.

I will do whatever I can to see that this doesn't happen to others. I have started the process of filing complaints with every government agency that may have jurisdiction over TaxMasters unscrupulous practices.

Had an Experience with Tax Masters?

Comments

James ward

Tax masters was taking money out of my account, after paying them $1,200 i got layed off from my job and call and ask them to stop taking money from my account.I was told that no more money would be takin out!

a few days later they took $500 out of my back! I call them and they said they can't stop it coming out of my account with a phone call it would have to be in writing! I asked if i can cancel my contract over the phone they said yes! REALLY!

I can cancel my contract but can't but a hold on taking my money! they told me $3,500 total to do my tax's and they wanted to give them $250 more for some years i wanted to clam!

They sent me all kinds of paper work that confused me!:( I need to find a lawyer!

S.Woodward
#197842

Tax Masters has taken $2150 from my 65 yr old mother who lives on $771 per month of Social security.They did not properly fill out or complete her taxes (they were refused by the IRS) for 06' and 08 and she had already filed 07 and 09.

She paid them in Dec. 09 and by 10/10 she had yet to receive any of her taxes and the IRS had placed a levy on her accounts. When I got involved after she had called and called asking for their help, they said she owed additional funds and they would not give her the completed taxes until she paid an additional $500 for which she did not have. Long story short we did get the taxes but they were useless, Tax Masters showed she owed $4220 for her 06 taxes, when the IRS only showed $991, and Tax Masters told her they would make it where she owed NOTHING at all.

It's one thing to take advantage of Q Public but how would Patrick Cox like it if his mother were raped by the likes of him? I am left to clean up the mess. Luckily there are many, many options for FREE legal help to the aged and disabled (which she is both) and I plan on seeing this through to the end!! As TM moves into their new larger building and continues to grow by millions of $$ every year, I plan on doing everything I can including standing on public roadways with signs, handing out flyers, operating a web-site and anything else I can do to bring these people down!!

PS: my mother told the TM associate that she didn't know what to do short of committing...

Benito

Complete scam. When I questioned the risk/reward in spending $4,750 to *potentially* have a $15,000 IRS bill negotiated to $3,000, after I have already been denied an OIC, I was told "oh, since your in state without an income tax we could reduce our fee to $2,750..." huh?

I repeatedly asked on what basis they would make an appeal to IRS to reduce my balance, since OIC didn't work, and I have been told by a local Tax Attorney that I had no hope of reduction, but never got any answer...Silly me still held onto a sliver of hope and requested an agreement be sent over for review via email....And nothing.

Guess they hold out for more inexperience fish.

RebelAg

We contracted with Tax Masters last August when received a notice of past due taxes. We were fearful of what the IRS would do, and so, since Tax Masters "seemed" like a reputable firm, we hired them (we should have checked them out first!). Long story short, they took our money, did NOTHING and we still had to settle directly with the IRS (who were far more helpful and competent than Tax Masters).

Patrick R. Cox, the founder and president of this firm, is a graduate of Texas A&M University (1986). One would think that during his time there he would have taken to heart the Aggie Code of Honor, which states "An Aggie will not lie, cheat or steal, or tolerate those that do." This firm lacks the integrity that is associated with this honor code. As another Former Student of Texas A&M, I will not tolerate this man or Tax Masters, and I will steer everyone I know away from them.

I am now in the process of filing complaints against this firm with the appropriate legal entities.

rm anderson ca

I too have been ripped off by these scammers!In December of 08 I contacted TM, also out of fear having received a threatening letter from IRS on several missed year's returns.

I got the packet from TM several days after my $2500 bucks was plucked from my account. I faxed all filled-in documents to TM as instructed and waited-nothing for 3 weeks. A follow up call to their vm got a return call requesting my Power of Attorney form. I immediately re-faxed this form and waited-again, nothing.

I received a letter from the State tax folks and forwarded it to TM-nothing-numerous calls later I got a return call requesting another copy of my Power of Attorney-I am seeing a pattern now.

I won't bore you with the additional follow ups-it is now March of 2010, I have paid another $2500 to a local attorney and I have been counseled that the money I gave TM was a non-refundable fee and is not performance-based-according to their contract I signed. In other words, I might as well have taken the money out and burned it.

Save your money, deal with a local attorney.I contacted the BBB in Houston Texas and was informed that TM has more complaints than can be counted.

triplej***oc

Hello Everyone:

POTENTIAL CLASS ACTION:

I am trying to forward information to the attorney who is reviewing our potential Tax Masters class action suit. Please forward the following for our preliminary summary:

Name

Contact Information

Summary of Your Issue with Tax Masters

Amount Loss

Please forward this information to me at your earliest convenience (triplejassoc@aol.com) in order for me to compile and forward to the attorney. I will keep you abreast of the status.

Thanks,

Pam Mitchell, Sr. Paralegal

(504) 234-5202

TaxMasters Rated F

It is interesting to see that even with a F rating from the BBB TaxMasters continues to thrive. They have currently moved into a larger facility 100,000 square feet, are now publicly traded, claim sales increases of over 442% the past 3 years and still appear to be recommended by Bill O'Reily and Dennis Miller of Fox News. This all makes sense seeing that we live live in the USA - United Scammers Association.

Maybe there is someone out there that is happy with the services performed by TaxMasters, but in my opinion they may have been grossly overcharged for services they could have performed themselves.

Please heed the BBB's warnings and stay clear of TaxMasters. If you do decide to use TaxMasters make sure you do not pay them one cent until they have performed the services that have been requested. I bet they hang up on you!

lisa

we just got scamed by them to i hope everyone sues them and takes them off commercials .